Self-support, offered through the College of Extended and Global Education
The Master of Science in Finance (MSF) program provides post-baccalaureate students pursuing a career in investments with a high-quality master-level education in the field of investment. The objective is to educate post-baccalaureate students to be experts in investment analysis and portfolio management. The Master of Science in Finance is open to all qualified students regardless of undergraduate major.
The Master of Science in Finance (MSF) 4:1 Option is a variant of the regular MSF program. It provides CSUSB undergraduate students with a route to a graduate degree. The 4:1 Option provides a seamless process whereby students can progress from undergraduate to graduate status.
Admission to the MSF 4:1 Option is by invitation from the Department of Accounting and Finance.
Admission to the MSF Program
Suitability for admission to the program will be based on an examination of the entire application package. In addition to the general requirements of the university, specific requirements for admission to classified graduate status are:
Bachelor's Degree: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with required minimum GPA of 2.75 calculated using the entire degree or the last 60 semester units, which may include post-baccalaureate work;
Personal Statement: A 200-250 word statement highlighting the academic motivation and qualifications for pursuing the Master of Science in Finance at California State University, San Bernardino, and demonstrating the potential for successful completion of the program;
English Proficiency for International Students: All international applicants who have not completed three years of full-time study at a secondary or post-secondary institution where English was the language of instruction must also achieve an acceptable score (as determined by the Accounting and Finance Department and ratified by the College Curriculum Committee, in alignment with the Office of Graduate Studies requirements) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the IELTS exam, or must complete CSUSB's ESL program. The current minimum acceptable TOEFL score is 550/PBT, 213/CBT, 79-80/IBT taken within the past two years; IELTS score of 6.5 taken within the past two years; or complete level 6 of CSUSB's Intensive English Program;
Resume: Submission of a current resume;
Letters of Recommendation: One letter of recommendation is required.
Business Aptitude Requirement: Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE): Applicants for Master of Science in Finance must meet the Business Aptitude Requirement:
- Submission of an acceptable score on the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE) as determined by the Accounting and Finance Department, ratified by the College Curriculum Committee, and conforming with the Office of Graduate Studies requirements. The current acceptable GMAT or GRE score must meet a minimum GMAT score of 470 (with a minimum 10% on GMAT Verbal Ability and 50% on Quantitative Ability percentile rankings) or a minimum GRE score of 298 ( with a minimum 10% on GRE Verbal Ability and 50% on Quantitative Ability percentile rankings); or
- (GPA x 200) + GMAT score greater than or equal to 1,050 points; or
- (GPA x 24) + GRE score greater than or equal to 368 points; or
- GMAT/GRE requirement may be waived if an applicant has 3.0 cumulative GPA from an AACSB accredited undergraduate program or meets other GMAT or GRE waiver criteria as set by the department.
- Recent CSUSB graduates who meet admission requirements for the MSF 4:1 Program option may request a GMAT waiver. Contact the MSF Director or department chair for details;
Admission to the MSF 4:1 Program
In addition to the general requirements of the university, specific requirements for being invited into the MSF 4:1 Option are:
- Invitee must be a CSUSB undergraduate student with at least a junior year academic standing;
- Invitee must have completed at least three courses from a concentration within the Bachelor of Arts in Administration program, or from a JHBC minor program, with a GPA of 3.0 or higher across all three courses;
- Invitee must earn a B (3.0) in the upper-level writing requirement;
- Invitee's overall CSUSB grade point average (GPA) should be 2.75 or higher.
Students who accept invitation into the MSF 4:1 Option program shall be considered as achieving conditionally classified status and shall get a waiver from the GMAT exam requirement for admission to the MSF degree program. Conditionally classified status will become classified status upon the completion of requirements for the bachelor's degree.
Advancement to Candidacy
To be advanced to candidacy, a student must have:
- Achieved classified standing;
- Completed at least 15 semester units of applicable graduate-level course work at the university, with a minimum grade point average of 3.0;
- Completed an approved graduate program plan in consultation with an MSF advisor after achieving classified status;
- Secured the approval of candidacy from the MSF Graduate Director and the Dean of Graduate Studies.
Requirements for Graduation
- A minimum of 33-semester units of acceptable graduate-level work, as shown in the "Degree Requirements" with a grade point average of 3.0 in all course work taken after admission to conditionally classified or classified status, and grades of "C" (2.0) or better in all courses in the program;
- Successful completion of an integrative comprehensive examination (FIN 6980). Successful completion means students correctly answer at least 80% of the comprehensive exam questions. Students with a grade point average below 3.0 will not be permitted to take the examination. A “no credit” (NC) designation will be entered on the student’s transcript if he/she fails the examination. Students who do not receive a passing grade may repeat the examination, one additional time only, with the written approval of the MSF Graduate Coordinator. Only students who are currently classified, have been advanced to candidacy, have completed their core classes, and are not on probation may take the examination.
- Successful completion of FIN 6985 (MSF Portfolio) which includes preparation and submission of a portfolio of course work. The portfolio includes a reflective essay showing how the portfolio demonstrates the accomplishment of essential goals for the program. Students register for this 0-unit course after advancement to candidacy.
- Successful completion of FIN 6980 meets the culminating experience requirement and successful completion (a grade of "B" (3.0), or better) in ADMN 6020 meets the graduate writing requirement;
- No more than 3-semester units of lower than 6000-level course work;
- At least 27-semester units completed at California State University, San Bernardino.
Degree Requirements (33 units)
(Program Code: FINA)
|ADMN 6020||Advanced Managerial Communications||3|
|FIN 6771||Ethical and Professional Standards||3|
|FIN 6772||Quantitative Method for Finance||3|
|FIN 6773||Financial Market and Environment||3|
|FIN 6774||Financial Statement Analysis I||3|
|FIN 6775||Financial Statement Analysis II||3|
|FIN 6776||Advance Corporate Finance||3|
|FIN 6777||Portfolio Management||3|
|FIN 6778||Global Equity Investment||3|
|FIN 6779||Fixed Income||3|
|FIN 6780||Derivative and Alternative Investment||3|
|FIN 6985||MSF Portfolio||0|
|Culminating Experience (0)||0|
Culminating Experience (0 units)
|FIN 6980||Finance Comprehensive Examination||0|