The Master of Science in Business and Data Analytics (MSBDA) is designed for a real-world applied experience that blends concepts from business and data science geared towards business applications. Our unique curriculum creates data storytellers and business strategists prepared to make data-driven decisions that increase the competitive business advantage. With this program, graduates will:
- Gain the technical analytical skills and business knowledge to better address business challenges and create strategic solutions.
- Use data analytics to understand the business operating environment.
- Employ data analytics techniques and tools to make informative decisions.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be job-ready and prepared to create value for their organization after having taken ten analytics courses including a practicum/capstone course designed to reinforce learning and practice skills.
Suitability for admission to the program will be based on an examination of the entire application package. In addition to the general requirements of the university, specific requirements for admission to classified graduate status are:
(i) Bachelor's Degree: A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, with a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above using the entire degree or the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units of course work, which may include post baccalaureate work. Students with significant GMAT/GRE scores and/or professional experience may be permitted to join with a 2.5 GPA.
(ii) Transcripts: Submission of official transcripts from all institutions attended to CSUSB Office of Graduate Studies. CSUSB students are not required to submit any CSUSB transcripts. If your transcript is not in English, then you must also send a certified literal English translation of the transcripts along with the official original-language transcripts with proof of degree to:
CSUSB Graduate Admissions Office
5500 University Parkway
San Bernardino, CA 92407
(iii) Personal Statement: Academic motivation and personal qualifications demonstrated through submission of a 200- to 250-word statement of reasons for wishing to pursue the Master of Science in Cybersecurity and Analytics at California State University, San Bernardino, and personal qualifications that will contribute to the successful completion of the program.
(iv) English Proficiency for International Students: An applicant whose education has been in a language other than English must submit proof of English ability. They can satisfy this requirement in a number of ways:
1. Test of English as a Foreign Language TOEFL (iBT 79/80 or PBT 550) taken within the past two years.
2. IELTS exam score of 6.5 taken within the past two years, or
3. Complete level 4 of CSUSB's Intensive English Program (IEP).
(v) Resume: Submission of a current resume.
(vi) Letters of Recommendation: Two letters of recommendation are required.
(vii) Business Aptitude Requirement: Applicants for Master of Science in Cybersecurity and Analytics must meet ONE of the following Business Aptitude requirements:
- 3.0 cumulative GPA from a regionally accredited undergraduate program
- Minimum two years of post-undergraduate professional and/or managerial experience or industry-relevant certifications.
- Proof of completion of an accredited graduate degree (e.g. J.D., Ph.D., M.D.) from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the graduate program.
- Submission of an acceptable score on the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
The current acceptable exam scores with a 3.0 GPA: GMAT score of 470 (minimum 10% on GMAT Verbal Ability and Quantitative Ability percentile rankings) or a minimum GRE score of 298 (minimum 10% on GRE Verbal Ability and Quantitative Ability percentile rankings).
(viii) Conditionally classified status: Students who meet all entrance requirements may be admitted to the program in a conditionally classified status. Once students meet the minimum passing level of “B” for IST 6115 (or successfully complete a “credit by exam” for the course) they will be advanced to classified graduate standing in the program. Only fully classified students, however, may enroll in the other 6000-level core courses unless they have written consent from the IDS Department Chair.
Advancement to Candidacy: To be advanced to candidacy, a student must have:
- Achieved fully classified standing;
- Completed at least 15 semester units of applicable graduate-level course work at the university, with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 ("B");
- Completed an approved graduate program plan in consultation with a department advisor.
- A minimum of 30-semester units of acceptable graduate-level work, consistent with the program plan (with a grade point average of 3.0).
- Successful completion of the culminating experience project course (BDA 6830) required in the last academic period right before graduation.
The 30 unit Master of Science in Business and Data Analytics degree program Consists of three "modules". Two modules (1 and 3) consist of three courses (3-unit courses) and one module (2) consists of four courses (3-unit courses).
Core Requirements (27 units)
|BDA 6010||Business Systems and Processes||3|
|BDA 6020||Introduction to Data Analysis for Business||3|
|BDA 6030||Scripting for Business and Data Analytics||3|
|BDA 6110||Data Visualization||3|
|BDA 6120||Business and Data Analytics I||3|
|BDA 6130||Database for Business Applications||3|
|BDA 6140||Business and Data Analytics II||3|
|BDA 6210||Business and Data Analytics III||3|
|BDA 6220||Contemporary Issues in Business and Data Analytics||3|
Culminating Experience Project (3 Units)
|BDA 6830||Business & Data Analytics Culminating Project||3|